Monday, January 14, 2008

Birthday Musings


Today was my birthday. Well, it still is for about 20 more minutes. It was a nice day but nothing real memorable, but really what is so great about turning 31? My 30th was privately traumatic for me so Jen and I celebrated with a gathering at our place for wine, beer and snacks then moved on to a bar crawl on Cap Hill where we proceeded to get wasted. There is always something to remember --or not-- about a bash like that, but this year we kept things low key. Jen had some friends in from Michigan so I went out with them on Saturday night. I took the day off work today (paid holiday---woo hoo!) and planned the day around a 4 page list of things to do. People asked if I had a fun b-day or will go on a trip. No. I ran errands today. I did get a massage and it was freakin' fantastic. A good massage is when they can rub the dickens --knots included--- outta your shoulders/neck/resst of the bod and still fall asleep. I did that. I can't wait to schedule my next one. I did get a few things crossed off my list including 3 important things ----12pm massage, yoga in the morning and have a good breakfast. That's a great morning.

The tradition with my mom is to call us at the time we were born to wish us a happy b-day at that time. Jen is 3:12pm and after that she calls me to say "haha I'm older than you". That lasts for 23 minutes and at 3:35pm I cathch up to her. Mom looks forward to doing this each year. Sister Jill usually calls at night to sing her Marilyn Monroe version but not so this year. I ended up calling her and Newphew Brody sang to me. At first he didn't wanted to, but after some fake crying he happily obliged. When he finished he went back to playing but I could hear him say in the background "she's happy now!". Definitely made my day.

Birthday dinner came delivered from Jen---a pint of Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream. So after all my cooking (another thing to cross off the list) I had ice cream for dinner. Perfect high-cal dinner to end a low-key day.


You don't say?: They say it's your birthday

No comments: