Sunday, December 2, 2007

Just for the Bell of It

(Yeah puns!)

Sister Jen has been training for the Jingle Bell 5k run for Arthritis with her coworkers and casually asked me on Friday if I joined her. I didn't respond right away then she said "I'll pay for you" and I said what the heck. I haven't been running nearly as much as I have in the past since taking a bit of a hiatus this year. Nor have I been running as much as I should considering I have a 40mile trail run coming up on February 2nd. So what the heck! It's 3.1 miles, on a course I've run before during the Columbia Triathlon and I need something to get me out doing something different. Actually, I needed this to get me out doing something. I haven't done a 5k run - stand alone or part of a sprint triathlon - in probably 3-4 years. I hate 5k runs....I'm not fast, they hurt, and I'd rather take the pain from a 50k run then a 5k any day.

It was quite cold in the morning and I wasn't dressed warm enough especially since it was so windy. We met up with her coworkers before the race for a team picture and make plans of where to meet up with each other after the race. At this race I did something I have NEVER done at a race before ---wear my race shirt the day of the race. I'm always against that because I have certain training and race gear and it doesn't include a 100% cotton t-shirt. On Saturday, however, it was part of certain race gear.

Overall the race was fine and yes it did hurt as 5k races do. I hate running fast, I hate sprinting, I hate getting beat by 70yr olds, but I made sure to pass a few said 70yr olds early on in the race. It really was what I needed to get me out and get me bit by that competitive bug even just a tad. Training has officially begun whether I like it or not, however I see myself liking it again.

Finally.


Seriously, what were they thinking??: Beach Boys Christmas

No comments: