Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Like Going to Hell

I returned to CarMax on Wednesday to finalize the payment on my car. Yes! It's mine! Well, now I have a loan with my credit union to deal with but that's fine. I have a few more details to finalize with the paperwork and I will have everything rolling to make this car mine. I figured while I was there I may as well ask them about the rest of the paperwork they need from me before Thursday to make sure I was on track with getting them everything they need. Copy of insurance - check; copy of DC inspection certificate (completed Tuesday bright and early) - check; copy of my loan - check; copy of my DC drivers license - check.
Pause.
Huh?
My licence was copied and scanned and reviewed all day Saturday - I swear - because I remember seeing my awful photo on the 19" computer monitor longer than necessary. Wrong address. I moved in August and haven't had the address changed on my license. It's up for renewal in January anyway so what was the big deal?

The business associate I was working with I think hid for a second or 30 longer because he feared my reaction. The paperwork couldn't be finalized until I had a current drivers license. But it is! It's still good for 45 more days! Not so. The address has to match my new place of residence which means........I have to go do the DMV to renew it.

Sigh

I dropped my head, shook it a bit, thought I said 'shit' under my breath but it was really said aloud and I'm sure the business associate heard me. 'I hate the DMV'.
'I know' he said, 'that's why I said I didn't have good news for you. I'm sorry.'

Why wasn't I told this on Saturday?? My current license was there for everyone to see while I was buying the car on Saturday and my new address was on the 37 pages of legal forms I had to sign. Why wasn't 1 + 37 put together to realizing these addresses didn't match up?

Shit

I hate the DMV. The only advice I'm getting is to bring a book and prepare to wait. Ugh. I've been there before and know what it's like ---hell. I have to find all proofs of ID that I live at the new address but no matter how much I prepare, no matter how many forms of ID, credit card bills, phone bills, SS#, any and all junk mail magazines or whatever--DMV will find a way to screw me and say I forgot something.
People of DC! Stay away from the DMV on C Street. Do not go there first thing in the morning and get in my way. I have to get this taken care of ASAP so I avoid another trip home to search for another form of ID, and I need drive to work so I can fax all my info to claim the car - loan and all - all mine.


God help me: Cake: I Will Survive

No comments: